Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hockey Journal 7-24-13

Last Wednesday, I went to the rink early to get my skates sharpened before my hockey lesson. It had been a year since I got my skates sharpened, but I never really noticed that drastic a dip in performance, and I skated for some pretty intense workouts frequently over the course of the first year of owning my first pair of skates. Pretty much, the only real problem I sometimes had with them was stopping, since I wouldn't stop very cleanly sometimes, even to the point of traveling another 5 feet in a very choppy motion while I tried to stop. But largely, I had no problems sharpening my skates in August and not doing so since then.

 While the guy behind the counter was sharpening my skates, I was going through the stick rack. Lots of Eastons. Lots, and lots of Eastons. They were shelved blade up, so I got a good look at the blades of the sticks since they were right in front of my face.

Then I found it. A Warrior Mac Daddy stick.* Jovanovski curve. I had a to wait a few days to scrounge up enough money (thanks, Mom!) before I could buy it, but I got it at a marked-down $75, and the shop gave me 10% off too. After having it for a day and about to take it onto the ice tonight for my hockey lesson, I'm so ridiculously happy with it.

I can't find any info on specs for the materials used, and I'm an amateur at best at identifying them, but it's a one-piece composite (not sure if fused or true one-piece), 85 flex, and as mentioned a Jovanovski curve. I've been looking for a stick with a square toe curve for a while because I have a terrible time getting the puck off the boards with rounded toe sticks. The only other square toe I could find these days is on a Getzlaf curve, but I've only ever seen those available in separate blade + shaft combos (and I don't have the money for the two pieces together). A nice bonus with this stick is the long blade, longer than any blade on any of my other hockey sticks, so I should get much better at receiving passes than with my Sherwood 9950 or Easton SY50.

I'll be doing a separate product review of the stick in the future, and I'll also be doing a video of how I tape my sticks using this Warrior Mac Daddy as my guinea pig. I can't wait to take it out on the ice tonight.

*I don't particularly vouch for that review, but it's literally the only video on this stick I can find on Youtube or on a Google search. Also, I don't really care much for the name "Mac Daddy," but that's what it's called.

No comments:

Post a Comment